Post Operative Instructions
For Hair Transplant- Hair Restoration Bangkok Thailand
Hair restoration is a delicate procedure, your adherence to the following instructions will achieve optimum results. The hardest part of Hair Transplantation is waiting for the hair to grow. The hairs that transplanted today will not start to grow for 3-4 months after the procedure; prior to this the grafts will develop small scabs which will fall off in 1-2 weeks. The shaft of the hair will shed with these scabs. Do not panic when you see that because this is normal. The root remains behind. The new shaft will be growing below the skin and reach the surface in 3-4 months. The hair continues to mature and add density for up to 10 months.
What happens post surgery?
The grafts will develop small scabs and will fall off within 7-14 days. The shaft of the hair will shed with the scabs leaving the root below the surface of the skin and this is beginning of your new hair. The root will develop a new shaft which will take 3-4 months to reach the surface of the skin and from that point it will continue to mature and add density for up to 10 months (hair growth is around 1.5cm per month).
What to do now?
- DO NOT drink alcohol for 48 hours (alcohol thins the blood which may cause bleeding)
- DO NOT take Aspirin, Motrin or Naprosyn for 3 days as these can also thin the blood
- DO NOT remove the HEAD BAND for the 1st 48 hrs, unless the doctor tells you otherwise. Continue to wear for several days
- DO NOT bend over; lower your body to pick up things for 5 days to prevent swelling
- DO NOT exercise for 7 days as it could result in swelling or lost grafts, rest, relax and be positive.
Sleeping – if you experience discomfort elevate your head using extra pillows or use a rolled towel and place under your neck.
POST OPERATIVE MEDICATIONS
A. IBELEX is an antibiotic to help prevent infecting, take as stated on the packaging (a different antibiotic will be prescribed for those allergic to Ibelex).
B. TYLENOL WITH CODEINE is a mild narcotic to suppress pain, take as stated on packing. Note: This medication may cause drowsiness so be cautious of any dangerous such as cars and sharp objects or care of other people.
SHAMPOO AND CLEANING THE GRAFTED AREA
Please return to the clinic after 24-48 hours of surgery. We will conduct the 1st application during your 1st follow up (see date and time above), in the meantime do not touch or rub onto the grafted area.
You can start your own shampoo 24 hrs after 1st follow up and twice daily with only a mild shampoo
Wet your head with a bowl of room temperature water or a gentle stream of water
Lather up shampoo in the palm of your hand and pat, every so softly, to your scalp and let it sit for 1-2 minutes and then gently rinse off.
Dry by gently patting your head with a towel (no rubbing). After 24 hrs you can use a blow dryer on cool setting only. DO NOT RUB TO WASH OR DRY!
After 7 days you can begin to lightly rub to help remove crust.
After 10 days you should be able to shower normally including your usual shampoo and conditioner.
SUTURED / DONOR AREA
It can be more aggressive (rubbing) to this area ,however, try to be careful of the knots in the stitches located at intervals and at each end of the incision.
BLEEDING: On occasion, slight bleeding may occur from the graft or donor site. If it occurs, you can apply light pressure on to stop the bleeding by using the gauze we provided or a clean cloth. Apply pressure for 10 to 15 minutes, if bleeding does not stop contact us.
- HEAD BAND: As explained, the headband keeps swelling to a minimum, it also offers an excellent support base for a hat. The headband keeps contact with the hat instead of your head so less chance of the hat rubbing on the grafts.
- SWELLING: On rare occasion swelling may occur (10%) less than < 10%. It is not dangerous and is painless and will not effect the growth of the graft. To reduce the swelling; apply ice to the forehead (below the graft) for 10 minutes 4 times per day. DO NOT apply ice directly to the grafted site because it may disturb the growth.
- STITCHES: absorbable stitches are applied to the donor area; they will dissolve within 3-6 weeks. Other non absorbable stitches are at intervals and at the end of the incision; these should be removed within 5-7 days or as informed after surgery.
- EXERCISE AND ACTIVITY: Absolute minimal exercise for 7 days. The strenuous exercise and fast body moving exercise should be avoided until the second month. Light jogging, weight training or playing golf can be done after 2 weeks.
- SWIMMING AND SUN: Avoid swimming for at least 4 weeks. Remember there are chemicals in swimming pools and these may affect the grafts. Excess exposure to the sun can also be counter productive to growth during the 1st 2 weeks.
- FOLLICLE AT THE GRAFT SITE: In some occasions, the folliculitis might develop and appear as isolate or multiple pimples. The initial treatment is warm compression and antibiotic ointment to the area 3 times per day. If folliculitis does occur please contact the doctor for specific medication.
- ITCHY: After a week if you experience an itchy feeling ,please do not scratch, apply 100% natural olive oil and allow it to soak for an hour or so.
- CUT AND DYE: We recommend not having hair cut or coloring dye for 3-4 weeks after surgery.
- SAUNA: avoid the stream and sauna for at least 1 month, the excess exposure of the heat is counter productive.
- GROOMING: Gel, hair spray and Mousse are allowed 5 days after surgery
Remember: be careful when you get in and out of a car, patients have bumped their heads and lost some grafts from such the case.
Risk from Hair Transplant in Bangkok,Thailand
Your hair transplant will be performed by the very best surgeons in Thailand and the risk of any issues arising is tiny.
However, there are extremely rare occasions where the patient may experience excessive bleeding, infections, loss of sensation in the hair transplant area and the possibility that the hair used from the donor site will not survive.
However, we find that such problems hardly ever occur and the patient can decrease the risk of the procedure by abstaining from smoking and alcohol in the lead up to the hair transplant and for a few weeks after.
Don’t allow the hair on your head to vanish and do absolutely nothing about it. For just 90 baht a graft, our surgeons team can make you look younger, healthier and more attractive in just one session. If you book an appointment with Urban Beauty Thailand today, you will gain the full benefit amazing hair transplant skills.
Risk from Hair Transplant, Hair Restoration procedure Thailand:
RELATED DOCUMENTS: HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY
- What causes scalp hair loss?
- What the hair loss can be done?
- When should I start treatment?
- Galeatomy Surgery for hair loss prevention
- Scalp hair transplant surgery:
- Men: Stem Cells Could Cure Baldness
- Microsurgery redistribution – Scalp extension surgery
- Micro Surgery grafting
- Eyelashes and Eyebrows
When you contact Urban Beauty Thailand, we will not only set you up with our surgeons team, we will also assist you in any way we can when it comes to finding accommodation. Thanks to our contacts in various Thai cities, we can secure discounted prices for you in luxury accommodation. And unlike other companies in the region, all our prices are upfront. When you book with us, there are no hidden fees or charges, what you see is what you get!